Saturday, July 17, 2010

Passengers Must Not Cross The Line



Friday 16th July up to mid-day

We're on our way to St Bees just left Glasgow Central on the Express. Coach is very quiet - ride is smoother than Australian trains (not that I've been on a train recently) - and I'm having no difficulty typing. So far not much to see from the window (apart from Glasgow and environs) - we seem to be mostly in an overgrown cutting if it improves I'll take some video. We're quite taken with this sign in Glasgow Central - I think Col's intention is that the four of us should cross the line on a regular basis.

Trip back from Islay was uneventful apart from a car rolling over which delayed the bus. The mountains were covered in mist and cloud - very romantic in a the literary sense but a bit daunting for those that will soon be climbing something similar.

Met Pete at our hotel and we went out for dinner at Molly Malone's - Glasgow's Irish Pub which serves Guiness and seemingly every other kind of beery beverage on the planet but can't manage a glass of Kilkenny - settled for Stella and an Italian Pinot Gris with the bangers (or steak and guiness sausages) and mash.

Wet and misty this morning so I went shopping and left Col in bed reading. Col says that all the water appeals to his Piscean nature - "water, water everywhere and quite a lot of drink" seems to be the current metaphor for the trip. Glasgow has what it calls the "Mile of Style" where all the fashion shops are located along with several department stores - I though that the Buchanan Galleries might offer some other kind of cultural experience. So I didn't buy anything other than some postcards and a new beanie because I can't find the one I packed - may now have three beanies because it was a 2 for 1 offer.

Should be at St Bees at 15:30ish where we expect to meet Mr Nix. It all gets serious tomorrow.

Pete says that there will be an election called tomorrow back home!!

I hope they have their timing right - even the merest thought that the mad Abbott might get up scares the hell out of me (Col here now - just in case you can't tell the difference between JR's and my prose). I must say that the English/ Scottish countryside has not disappointed me so far . It is very green, wet and pretty.

This first class train travel is certainly very comfortable - better than flying if you have the time in my view.

1 comment:

  1. Col, There's nothing like a chuf-chuf (sic) to get around in. Have you found a Spence tartan yet?

    ReplyDelete