Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday 30th July - Ingleby Cross to Great Broughton (Supposed to me 20kms but Boyz did 22km- all will be revealed) - Boyz Bite Bush



Col here:-

Villain to Hero - well I managed to start the day disastrously for the lads - tried to organise a short cut for the walkers but at some point the trail petered out entirely (about 3-4kms in and the same out again) so even though the boyz were very magnamimous and decreed it as a democratic team decision it was really me. But at a critical point later in the day I was able to resurrect the situation with a short plunge off a cliff that avoided two more steep climbs and descents so I think all is forgiven. Today was a good tough walk and the boyz are definitely fitter than when we started 'cause we ate it up. There were still about 3 steep climbs and of course descents but we still made good time. I am quite sure our new English friends (Susan, special skills teacher and her daughter, lawyer, Lizzie are chortling their way through this blog as they were also contemplating the short cut but made the sensible decision to stay on the real path. Susan will be much comforted at having won the race to the finish line. We also caught up with our other companions from way back at the start of the walk David and Lydia at our B&B last night. The Somerset House oasis was very nice and certainly one of the better establishments on the route. Dinner is a small problem as it is 1 mile away from the B&B but I am sure this will be resolved shortly and then it will be very pleasant. So 3 days walking to go now (but who is counting). Take care everyone I luv yaz all.:-)

JR here:-

Well as you might gather from Col's comments we're all pretty buggered (have had to give a couple of Ks back out of our taxi bank). It started somewhat badly when Al needed to adjust his dress within 100yds of the B&B (see photo - we had to do something while we waited) and went downhill slowly from there. The Bush scored an early goal with a track that got increasingly obscure and eventually ended in a barbed wire fence - Col was keen to proceed however the last time I climbed a barbed wire fence Col had to help me over because of the potential danger to certain sensitive parts and I was not anxious to experience that sensation again - so we decided to go back to the start. The rest of the walk went well and the views from the moors were spectacular - a different type of spectacular from the lakes - sort of bigger - but once you've seen England akimbo as it were you probably don't need to see it again. We also walked through some magical forest areas which have a type of soft green light that you don't see in Australia. We eventually scored the equalizer by avoiding the long climb over Cringle Moor and bashing our way through the bracken lead by Col - straight around and down the side of the hill to Greater Broughton. We were all feeling it by then so it was a good decision. At dinner tonight I could not resist the deep fried bacon - there are times when too much fat is barely enough - followed by the chef's Eton mess - seems unlikely that the chef will have been to Eton so I harbour some doubts about its authenticity. Otherwise an early night seems indicated.

Al here:-

I almost died today but somehow through my Aussie spirit and will to survive saw me through, not many others would have been able to make to the Village of Greater Broughton where they don't seem to know the difference between a prawn [that's Capitral P, P capital R capital A capital W capital N, not shrimp that are the size of undeveloped mosquitoes served in what was euphemisticitally called a prawn cocktail, what a joke !!!! Anyhoooo, the walk was a beauty with .of ups and downs designed to destroy your feet and knees but we made it. Perhaps tomrrow we will get to a place, Blakey Ridge/Glaisdale where they understand what a bloody prawn is and not foist the joke of baby shrimp on me, I'm not happy!

Peter here :-

I watched an episode of the survivor man - Bear Grylls before dinner. I watched intently to ensure that if anything happens on the Yorkshire Moors I am equipped to ensure the survival of the party. Rest assured dear readers if anything should happen I am now able to cook a 3 course meal on a cow pat, build a 3 bedroom house with lockable garage using stones from the fences and make bedding for 4 from dock leaves. Failing this I keep enough money for a taxi fare and always check the phone book at the previous nights accomodation to see if there are any "gunnings" I can call on for assistance and a cuppa. I think I will now call myself Peter "Mixed Grylls" Gunning

2 comments:

  1. Hi Col etc.

    Thanks for your entertaining updates and insights into English rural life. Sorry to hear about your ailments, keep it up, not far now (he says, comfortably perched on his lounge in Duffy).

    Cheers
    JT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stayed at Somerset House but cannot for the life of me remember anything about it....Is it a working farm still?

    On the matter of the Big Bad Moors, the most dangerous thing that is likely to happen is that a grouse will scare you out of your reverie- as Genevieve (my daughter) puts it - how lost can you get on the Yorkshire Moors anyway?

    Paulette

    ReplyDelete