Saturday, July 24, 2010

Friday 23 July - 21kms Burnbanks to Orton - Of Shap, Sheep and Shit




Day dawned bright and sunny - shining right in our eyes at 04:30 - so we had to get up and draw the blinds so we could go back to sleep. After that it was a great day weather wise - sunny high cloud and clothes coming off all over - the cold wind of the morning dropped away and we were able to enjoy the rolling hills of England - we rolled up one side and down the other repeatedly. Stopped for a look at Shap Abbey which was established in the 1200's and tried to get a video of the RAF jets which were exercising overhead. Paths were better too -lots of grassy tracks and less of the rocky stream beds we've become used to crossing the Lake District. But it was a long long way - like walking around Googong with sheep for company rather than wombats. Mind you there must be some yeti-size sheep in the English hills judging by the size of some of the evidence.

Col here:
Not much to add to JR's words but although the walk was much easier today I must say that I should have allowed for a rest day. My knee is really struggling which is most unfortunate because the rest of me is feeling great (bring it on!!!!). I will be quite disappointed if the old war wound causes me to miss any of the walking but it doesn't always give me options. I will try the old "pain is only weakness leaving the body" but today did hurt a fair bit so I must be a lot stronger now. Ha ha. If today had been day 1 we would have eaten it up. I have been trying to moderate my intake of the English breakfasts cause they don't help with losing weight of that I am sure. For me tonights dinner is hot and spicy chicken wings and lasagne. Hope everyone at home is well and I miss you all but in its own perverse way this challenge is also enjoyable.

Peter here -

Some of you will recall I did teacher training prior to joining the public service. While doing a major in Science I did a series of units called Wildlife Biology with Dr Dave Goldberg. Besides trying to declare certain areas of the Rafters Bar as a Wildlife refuge we were taught to identify scat. The curved cube of the Wombat, the rough raisins of goats all very useful in determining what Animals lived in and travelled through particular areas. One of the final assignments for Wildlife Biology was to present an Organic and Non-Organic Collection to be used as a teaching aid in the Classroom, Well by now you will have guessed what I chose for an organic collection ! I gathered up the pooper scooper and produced a photographic catalog of all animal et al shit. Because of this training I was able to classify the large amount of goat and sheep poop encountered on the trail and identify their diet and their first names :-). In fact recognising bull shitters has proved very handy.

Al here - If sheep shit was gold I would be a millionaire just from the scrapings off my boots, but .... unfortunately it isn't so I will just have to keep on truckin' until we reach the pot of gold also known as Robin Hoods Bay. First blister today but only minor, hope nothing else.Just had Thai chilli prawns but the prawns were shrimps or the babies of shrimps, you could only just tell they were some type of crustacean, oh well, drink more Pinot Grigio (Italian).

No comments:

Post a Comment